8 Reasons to Take Proper Care of Your Feet
When it comes to life, every step counts. Your feet allow you to walk to the local coffee shop, dance at your wedding and run marathons. Caring for them can feel like hard work, but Dr. Brandon Holloway and Dr. Travis Holloway of Amarillo Foot Specialists are here to help.
What is a podiatrist?
Your feet support your legs, abdomen hips, head and chest. So, problems with your feet can have a negative effect on the rest of your body. Fortunately, your local podiatrist treats conditions in the ankle, foot, and related structures of the leg.
While your regular physician is familiar with foot problems, a podiatrist is the best qualified source when it comes to identifying and treating problems with the feet. A podiatrist typically specializes in an assortment of fields including wound care, diabetic care, sports medicine and pediatrics.
Being aware of how the following health issues can affect your feet will help keep your feet healthy.
1. Diabetes. If you are suffering from diabetes, your sugar levels are more elevated than normal. It can be the source of several different foot complications, including poor circulation and neuropathy that can sometimes lead to amputation.
2. Arthritis. Arthritis can take on a variety of forms and it is painful, and at times, debilitating. Arthritis in your feet can eventually lead to a loss of mobility, so it is crucial that you visit a podiatrist if you experience the following symptoms:
Redness on the joint;
Difficulty moving a joint;
Stiffness early in the day;
Changes in the skin.
3. Obesity. Research shows that more than one-third of Americans are considered to be obese. Carrying around this extra weight puts more pressure on knees, ankles and hips, which can lead to diabetes and more wear and tear on your feet.
4. Injury. Foot and ankle injuries, including strains, sprains and fractures, can make your feet lose support. Schedule an appointment with a podiatrist if you experience swelling or pain in your ankles or feet or if you have difficulty walking.
5. Tendon and Muscle Issues. Tendons, muscles, and bones help your feet carry you from place to place. If a tendon or muscle in your ankle or foot is injured, the simple act of walking can become uncomfortable.
6. Skin Ailments. The list of skin ailments is a long one but developing certain skin conditions on your feet can pose major health problems. See a podiatrist if the following skin issues develop:
Corns and Calluses
7. Toe Nerve and Joint Issues: Numbness or pain in the joints of the toes can cause bunions, hammertoe, or neuroma, which is a pinched nerve in the toe.
8. Toenail Issues. Your toenails may seem like the least of your worries, but they can cause major discomfort from ingrown toenails or toenail fungus.
Protect your feet and keep them healthy by seeing a podiatrist if you experience swelling, redness, pain or numbness in your ankles, feet or legs. Your quality of life depends on it! Call the offices of Dr. Brandon Holloway and Dr. Travis Holloway of Amarillo Foot Specialists today to schedule a healthy foot checkup.